FW: [nvda-addons] Add-ons news part 2: important notice about Windows 10 App Essentials and upcoming NVDA 2017.3

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FW: [nvda-addons] Add-ons news part 2: important notice about Windows 10 App Essentials and upcoming NVDA 2017.3

Joseph Lee

Hi,

For developers, the relevant change is addition of controller for event for UIA apps and a new behavior to let NVDA play sounds when suggestions appear, which can be used in various apps.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 11:14 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [nvda-addons] Add-ons news part 2: important notice about Windows 10 App Essentials and upcoming NVDA 2017.3

 

Dear NVDA community:

 

A few days ago, during a conversation regarding Windows 10 App Essentials add-on, someone pointed out the lack of features from this add-on in NVDA screen reader. I (the author of the add-on) did say then that some features from this add-on are being integrated into NVDA. Below is an important update (and a notice) regarding it:

 

I’m happy to announce that, starting with NVDA 2017.3, four (or possibly five) major features from Windows 10 App Essentials add-on will be part of the NVDA screen reader. Specifically, from August 2017 onwards, you won’t need the add-on to use the following features:

 

  • Search suggestion sounds: when you enter text in places such as Start search box, you would have heard a sound to indicate appearance of suggestions. This feature, a landmark feature of this add-on, will finally ship with NVDA in August 2017. The add-on will still be required to hear suggestion count in some cases, and I’ll make sure that this is part of NVDA screen reader in a future release.
  • Navigating suggestions: you can now use up or down arrow keys to review suggestions.
  • Suggestion announcement in braille: when suggestions appear, the top suggestion will be brailled on your braille display as a flash message.
  • Combo box value changes: in some cases, when you change options from combo boxes, NVDA would not announce changes to values in combo boxes. I’ll be deprecating this workaround in the add-on in the fall, as NVDA will now include a fix for it as part of 2017.3.
  • Live region change announcements: if the app is written correctly, screen readers can be told to announce changes to screen text via live region change events. The latest NVDA next (alpha-level) snapshot includes this change, allowing NVDA to announce various things on screen. This feature, originally part of Windows 10 App Essentials, could make its debut as part of NVDA 2017.3 at the earliest.

 

In regards to live region change announcements, the following will be announced by NVDA:

  • Windows Update installation progress before and during installations, including the part where the computer restarts to finish installing updates. The thing Brian S suggested a few weeks ago – where NVDA should announce updates being installed – is hereby partially fulfilled. The complete picture will be part of Windows 10 Fall Creators update.
  • Text from various universal apps including Skype, Windows Store and many others. I’m working on teaching NVDA to not announce things twice.
  • Notifications from Microsoft Edge such as file download status and website alerts. These include skip ad notice fomr YouTube and many others.
  • Changes to live text in some desktop apps.
  • Windows Hello (fingerprint or iris scan) setup announcements.

 

Due to these changes, Windows 10 App Essentials version 17.09 or 17.10 will require NVDA 2017.3. Normally I provide support for the current and immediate past versions of NVDA (currently NVDA 2017.2 and 2017.1), but due to massive changes noted above, one of the fall add-on releases will ask you to use 2017.3.

 

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

_._,_._,_


Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#103) | [hidden email] | [hidden email] | Mute This Topic | New Topic

----------------------------------------------------------------
NVDA add-ons: A list to discuss add-on code enhancements, new version announcements and for reporting bugs.

Community add-ons are available from: https://addons.nvda-project.org
To send a message to the list: [hidden email]
To change your list settings/unsubscribe: https://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons
To contact list moderators: [hidden email]

Change Your Subscription
Group Home
[hidden email]
Terms Of Service
Unsubscribe From This Group

_._,_._,_


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Nvda-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/nvda-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FW: [nvda-addons] Add-ons news part 2: important notice about Windows 10 App Essentials and upcoming NVDA 2017.3

Development mailing list
I have already noticed this odd sound in the waves folder and seemingly
heard them on some web sites for no apparent reason as well. this is windows
7 Firefox.
 Brian

[hidden email]
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
[hidden email], putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Lee" <[hidden email]>
To: "'NVDA screen reader development'" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 7:17 PM
Subject: [Nvda-devel] FW: [nvda-addons] Add-ons news part 2: important
notice about Windows 10 App Essentials and upcoming NVDA 2017.3


> Hi,
>
> For developers, the relevant change is addition of controller for event
> for
> UIA apps and a new behavior to let NVDA play sounds when suggestions
> appear,
> which can be used in various apps.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joseph
>
>
>
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
> Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 11:14 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [nvda-addons] Add-ons news part 2: important notice about Windows
> 10 App Essentials and upcoming NVDA 2017.3
>
>
>
> Dear NVDA community:
>
>
>
> A few days ago, during a conversation regarding Windows 10 App Essentials
> add-on, someone pointed out the lack of features from this add-on in NVDA
> screen reader. I (the author of the add-on) did say then that some
> features
> from this add-on are being integrated into NVDA. Below is an important
> update (and a notice) regarding it:
>
>
>
> I'm happy to announce that, starting with NVDA 2017.3, four (or possibly
> five) major features from Windows 10 App Essentials add-on will be part of
> the NVDA screen reader. Specifically, from August 2017 onwards, you won't
> need the add-on to use the following features:
>
>
>
> * Search suggestion sounds: when you enter text in places such as
> Start search box, you would have heard a sound to indicate appearance of
> suggestions. This feature, a landmark feature of this add-on, will finally
> ship with NVDA in August 2017. The add-on will still be required to hear
> suggestion count in some cases, and I'll make sure that this is part of
> NVDA
> screen reader in a future release.
> * Navigating suggestions: you can now use up or down arrow keys to
> review suggestions.
> * Suggestion announcement in braille: when suggestions appear, the top
> suggestion will be brailled on your braille display as a flash message.
> * Combo box value changes: in some cases, when you change options from
> combo boxes, NVDA would not announce changes to values in combo boxes.
> I'll
> be deprecating this workaround in the add-on in the fall, as NVDA will now
> include a fix for it as part of 2017.3.
> * Live region change announcements: if the app is written correctly,
> screen readers can be told to announce changes to screen text via live
> region change events. The latest NVDA next (alpha-level) snapshot includes
> this change, allowing NVDA to announce various things on screen. This
> feature, originally part of Windows 10 App Essentials, could make its
> debut
> as part of NVDA 2017.3 at the earliest.
>
>
>
> In regards to live region change announcements, the following will be
> announced by NVDA:
>
> * Windows Update installation progress before and during
> installations, including the part where the computer restarts to finish
> installing updates. The thing Brian S suggested a few weeks ago - where
> NVDA
> should announce updates being installed - is hereby partially fulfilled.
> The
> complete picture will be part of Windows 10 Fall Creators update.
> * Text from various universal apps including Skype, Windows Store and
> many others. I'm working on teaching NVDA to not announce things twice.
> * Notifications from Microsoft Edge such as file download status and
> website alerts. These include skip ad notice fomr YouTube and many others.
> * Changes to live text in some desktop apps.
> * Windows Hello (fingerprint or iris scan) setup announcements.
>
>
>
> Due to these changes, Windows 10 App Essentials version 17.09 or 17.10
> will
> require NVDA 2017.3. Normally I provide support for the current and
> immediate past versions of NVDA (currently NVDA 2017.2 and 2017.1), but
> due
> to massive changes noted above, one of the fall add-on releases will ask
> you
> to use 2017.3.
>
>
>
> Thank you.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joseph
>
> _._,_._,_
>
>  _____
>
> Groups.io Links:
>
> You receive all messages sent to this group.
>
> View/Reply Online (#103)
> <https://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons/message/103>  | Reply To
> Group
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re:%20%5Bnvda-addons%5D%20
> Add-ons%20news%20part%202%3A%20important%20notice%20about%20Windows%2010%20A
> pp%20Essentials%20and%20upcoming%20NVDA%202017.3>  | Reply To Sender
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5Bnvda-addons%5D
> %20Add-ons%20news%20part%202%3A%20important%20notice%20about%20Windows%2010%
> 20App%20Essentials%20and%20upcoming%20NVDA%202017.3>  | Mute This Topic
> <https://groups.io/mt/5355948/568>  | New Topic
> <https://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons/post>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> NVDA add-ons: A list to discuss add-on code enhancements, new version
> announcements and for reporting bugs.
>
> Community add-ons are available from: https://addons.nvda-project.org
> To send a message to the list: [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
> To change your list settings/unsubscribe:
> https://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons
> To contact list moderators: [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> Change Your Subscription
> <https://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons/editsub/568>
> Group Home <https://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons>
> Contact Group Owner <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Terms Of Service <https://groups.io/static/tos>
> Unsubscribe From This Group
> <https://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons/leave/668156/419567931/xyzzy>
>
> _._,_._,_
>
>


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


> _______________________________________________
> Nvda-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/nvda-devel
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Nvda-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/nvda-devel